Lead Plant Operator operates plant facilities’ various equipment/systems including, but not limited to: cryogenic plant processing, hydrocarbon fractionation units, process controls and measurement, pumps, pressure relief system instrument air system, dehydrators, fuel system, emergency shutdown systems, gas turbines, reciprocating compressors, steam turbines, gas fired boilers, process pumps, amine treating systems, inlet gas receivers and NGL storage and transfer facilities. Lead Plant Operator controls the plant’s various systems to make and maintain proper product specifications while ensuring optimal operating performance on plant equipment. Monitor and record daily readings and acts a supervisor when needed.
- Assist plant repair personnel with maintenance including changing filters for air, oil, amine, etc., and repair work on methanol pumps.
- Assist with housekeeping and cleanup routines throughout the plant.
- Gather and trend operational performance data
- Other duties may include safety inspections, write hot work permits, write safe work permits, write bypass permits, lab testing and other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Entering daily throughput reports.
- Have the ability to identify issues in the plant and adjust to the issues accordingly.
- Optimize processing throughout the facility and maintain proper product specifications
- Responds to alarms and problems within the plant and makes appropriate corrections
- Spill Prevention Countermeasures and Control (SPCC) reporting and monitoring environmental compliance
- Perform lock out/tag out procedures and may monitor field compressor status through the use of SCADA
- Have the skills to input spill reports, blow down reports, flare report, AVO’s reports and other operational data
- Understand and comply with environmental regulations and ability to document and report readings as dictated by permit.
- Read, use and understand PFD’s, P&ID’s and Plot Plan
- Demonstrate knowledge of trucking loading and unloading procedures/requirements including tanks, valves, pumps, etc.
- Participate in the Plant PSM program and understand and follow all 14 elements of PSM
- Possess the skills to navigate through the EHS Solutions (MOC’s and Observations).
- High School Diploma or GED, required
- 4-8 years previous operations experience in a cryogenic gas processing facility
- Experience with SCADA and control systems (WonderWare)
- Basic computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office, including spreadsheet and word processing applications
- Possess a strong commitment to personal and job safety including complying with state and federal regulations
- Demonstrate strong mechanical aptitude with the ability to troubleshoot and repair all types of mechanical equipment as well as good verbal/written communication skills, decision making skills and a strong work ethic
- Willing to work call-outs, holidays, and weekends
- Willing to work the assigned schedule which could include nights and days
- Work well within a team environment, and/or independently with limited supervision if needed
- Must be able to read prints, drawings, and technical manuals and possess the ability to prepare technical reports
- Good understanding of plant principles and operations
- Must pass pre-employment drug screen and is subject to random drug testing
- Possess a valid driver’s license with a good driving record
- Must allow pre-employment and MVR background check
- Must be capable of lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling up to 50 pounds
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Have dexterity in the use of tools and equipment
- Use physical force to lift, push, pull and hold equipment and tools
- Able to work in a standing, sitting, lying down, crouched or kneeling position
- Able to bend, stoop, move from ground level to higher levels, raise/lift from ground level and lift to 50lbs.
- React to conditions, alarms and beacons using olfactory senses
- Work indoors and outdoors in and around industrial and electrical equipment
- Work in extreme weather conditions around operating equipment
- Wear special safety equipment (PPE) while working